I’ve heard so much about Songkran festival also known as water festival, but experiencing it myself is as exciting as the stories shared by my friends. If you’ve not experience the Songkran festival, you should too, start planning for next year. Songkran festival also known as Thai New Year takes place on 13 – 15 April throughout Thailand and it should last for an entire week.
I was sent to Hatyai together with the other #AABC bloggers @jessyings, @eazyizzuddin, @khaiartzfar and followed by Ashman (@ashmanmahfudz) from AirAsia to experience the #AABCSongkranAdventure during the Pre-Songkran event. We the #TeamAshman were the first group sent out, followed by other groups going around different parts of Thailand for Songkran.
Here are some of the photos at the AirAsia water station, one day before Songkran Festival officially begins throughout Thailand, there’s street dance battle and performances by local artist as well as AirAsia crew, everyone was having a splashing time.
Group photo before we got ourself all wet! Gearing up with our new water guns.
The AirAsia water station, it’s filled with locals and spotted quite a number of Malaysians too!
There’s this plastic goggles to protect your eyes from water, thus you get to see while shooting. Super cool stuff, I’ll share some tips for Songkran at the end of this post.
Here are some tips, if you are planning to celebrate Songkran:
- Ensure all your valuables especially phones are in waterproof bags (make sure you zip it properly too)
- Choose your weapon or equipment you can purchase it throughout Thailand, I’ve spotted some water guns that could store more water in it, while some are extremely cute such as Hello Kitty/Mickey mouse water guns. A google could help you to prevent water from affecting your sight.
- Wear dark colour clothing to avoid getting yourself into inappropriate or undesired situations. You’ll be soaked in water, which means a white or light colour top can easily be transparent, unless you wish to show off your bikini.
- There will be situations where guys tend to aim at girls, so be prepare to stir away from a group of guys armed with water guns.
- Some would add in ice cube into their water guns, it’s freezing cold especially when it’s ice with water at night.
- Go in a group and you’ll enjoy more fun together too!
- As you are expected to get wet, don’t get angry or mad when you were splashed. Afterall, it’s a cleansing ritual to welcome the new year.
- Read more about Songkran Festival here.
Courtesy of AirAsia for flying us to Hatyai and a memorable Songkran experience. With the #AABC bloggers, we stayed at the Buri Sriphu Boutique Hotel, I’ve got lots to share about our Hatyai trip, so stay tune.